Last 12 months, the Minnesota Vikings had 15 draft picks. They used them to convey an infusion of expertise to the crew. With that got here inexperience and in a shortened offseason as a result of COVID-19 pandemic, it took the crew some time earlier than they have been capable of get right into a groove, particularly on protection.
That stated, Justin Jefferson might have arguably been the Offensive Rookie of the Year for the way he carried out at receiver. The Vikings can be trying to land some similarly-talented gamers within the 2021 NFL Draft, and armed with the No. 14 choose, they need to have an opportunity to land a strong participant.
The Vikings will in all probability wish to concentrate on upgrading the trenches contemplating that their blocking hasn’t been nice on offense and their move rush did not do in addition to anticipated final 12 months. That’s why they parted with Yannick Ngakoue halfway by the season, and their blocking points are a part of why they parted with Riley Reiff. Upgrades are wanted for Minnesota, however they’ll compete within the NFC North if they’ll fill their largest wants and see their younger prospects take the subsequent step.
Here’s a have a look at the Vikings’ picks within the 2021 NFL Draft:
Vikings draft picks 2021: When does Minnesota choose?
- Round 1, Pick No. 23: Christian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech
- Round 3, Pick No. 66: Kellen Mond, QB, Texas Tech
- Round 3, Pick No. 78: Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
- Round 3, Pick No. 86: Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State
- Round 3, Pick No. 90: Patrick Jones II, EDGE, Pitt
- Round 4, Pick No. 119: Kene Nwangwu, RB, Iowa State
- Round 4, Pick No. 125: Camryn Bynum, CB, California
- Round 4, Pick No. 134: Janarius Robinson, DE, Florida State
- Round 5, Pick No. 157
- Round 5, Pick No. 168
- Round 6, Pick No. 199
Vikings 2021 NFL Draft order
|1||23 (from Jets)|
|3||2 (from Jets)|
|3||22 (from Jets)|
|3||27 (from Ravens)|
|4||20 (from Bears)|
|4||29 (from Bills)|
|5||24 (from Steelers by Ravens)|
|6||39 (Compensatory Selection)|
|7||14 (Choice Forfeited)|
Vikings NFL Draft wants
- Offensive line: Currently, Rashod Hill is penciled in because the starter at left sort out. He’s a wonderful swing sort out, however beginning him in all probability would not go effectively. The crew might additionally use assist on the left guard spot. Going after a man like Christian Darrisaw or Alijah Vera-Tucker at 14 makes a number of sense.
- Edge rusher: With Ngakoue gone, Danielle Hunter is the one constant move rusher that the Vikings have. They averaged simply 1.4 sacks per sport final 12 months (fifth-worst within the NFL) so focusing on a counterpart for Hunter can be a superb transfer.
- Defensive sort out: Minnesota addressed this space by including Dalvin Tomlinson in free company, however the crew wants a viable choice subsequent to him, ideally one that’s higher as a move rusher.
- Wide receiver: Justin Jefferson and Adam Thielen are a dynamic one-two punch at receiver. Beyond them, the Vikings haven’t got a lot depth, so including a 3rd viable goal in a powerful receiver class can be a superb transfer.
- Quarterback: Kirk Cousins is a wonderful starter, and it does not seem like the Vikings are going to switch him. That stated, they need to at the least add some competitors behind him that is higher than Nathan Stanley and Jake Browning. Maybe grabbing a developmental man like Davis Mills with considered one of their 4 Round 4 picks can be a worthwhile consideration.
Vikings mock draft 2021
Here are the newest 2021 NFL Draft projections for the Vikings, in line with Vinnie Iyer’s seven-round mock draft:
|3||27||Hunter Long||TE||Boston College|
|4||14||Darius Stills||DT||West Virginia|
|4||38||Jamie Newman||QB||Wake Forest|
|5||24||Justin Hilliard||LB||Ohio State|
|6||39||Riley Cole||LB||South Alabama|