Former actuality TV star Caitlyn Jenner is speaking with political consultants as she actively explores a run for governor of California, three sources with direct information of her deliberations inform Axios.
Why it issues: Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, is facing a recall election. A problem from Jenner, a high-profile Republican and previous Trump supporter, would draw heightened consideration to the race to guide the nation’s most populous state.
- Jenner is being assisted in her consideration by Caroline Wren, a longtime GOP fundraiser. Wren initially met Jenner by her work with the American Unity Fund, a GOP nonprofit targeted on LGBT points.
- Wren previously worked at Trump Victory, a joint fundraising committee for President Trump’s 2020 marketing campaign, and in addition helped set up the rally he addressed instantly earlier than the U.S. Capitol assault on Jan. 6.
- A spokesman for Jenner declined to remark. Wren additionally declined to remark.
Jenner burst onto the nationwide stage when she gained the 1976 Olympic decathlon. She transitioned to a girl in 2015 and adopted her new title.
- She had returned to the general public highlight a number of years earlier within the actuality present “Keeping up with the Kardashians,” which chronicled the lifetime of the blended household into which she married in 1991.
Republicans have launched a recall marketing campaign in opposition to Newsom, indignant about his immigration and tax insurance policies. The effort gained momentum amid added criticism of the governor’s dealing with of the coronavirus pandemic.
- In 2003, California Gov. Gray Davis, a Democrat, confronted the same effort.
- He was recalled and changed by Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger, a former bodybuilder and star of the “Terminator” film sequence.
Editor’s be aware: Updates with extra background on Caroline Wren’s connection to Caitlyn Jenner.