Stephanie Rubio and her three kids have had their coronary heart damaged twice in three weeks.
Stephanie’s husband, Robert, died from COVID-19 problems on January 28 after spending eight days within the hospital.
With winter storms and freezing temperatures creating chaos and confusion throughout the state this week, 1000’s of households have been compelled to dwell with out energy, warmth, and water, together with the Rubio household.
The household lives in Fort Davis, Texas, about 150 miles east of Odessa. They have been with out energy since Monday round 4 a.m.
To keep heat, Stephanie and her kids have been counting on firewood to gasoline the fireside. But by Tuesday afternoon they have been nearly out. Stephanie and her youngest son, Levi, 15, braved the street circumstances and went to choose up firewood at a nook store.
From the store’s car parking zone, Stephanie mentioned she may see smoke clouds within the distance and pointed them out to Levi, who had simply acquired a telephone name from a pal to say that it was their house that had caught fireplace.
At house, Stephanie’s oldest baby, Allison, 22, was taking a nap when Blake,16, alerted her to the rising smoke.
“We rushed up there to our house and it was just covered in smoke already,” Stephanie mentioned. “My daughter ran out with a picture of her dad that we got from the funeral home, with no shoes or anything.”
The fireplace division has not been in a position to decide the official explanation for the fireplace but, in response to Stephanie, however they’ve deemed the house a complete loss.
They Never Got to Say Goodbye
Stephanie mentioned she and Robert constructed their house in Fort Davis and crammed it with love and fond reminiscences throughout a 20-year relationship.
Stephanie’s excessive school-aged youngsters needed to take a COVID-19 take a look at to return to in-person studying in January. That’s when Levi examined constructive and stayed house to get better for 2 weeks. Shortly after Levi’s constructive take a look at, Blake and Robert contracted the virus, too.
“We were all home, the kids isolated themselves in their rooms, but when you’re all home together, it’s hard,” Stephanie mentioned. “Robert was the last one to get COVID from our home and he just couldn’t take it … he had the COVID pneumonia part.”
“We always wore a mask, kept hand sanitizer with us. We did everything we were supposed to do,” she mentioned. “It’s just something that happened and we can’t take it back.”
Stephanie took Robert to the hospital on January 19 and workers admitted him, telling her that he’d almost certainly be stored in a single day to watch his oxygen ranges.
“Before I knew it, they were flying him to another hospital in Midland, Texas, and he just had a really bad night and that Thursday he passed,” Stephanie mentioned. “His heart couldn’t take it and he had heart failure.”
Robert was additionally borderline diabetic, she mentioned.
“He kept telling us, ‘I’m fine, I’m fine,’ but we were worried,” Stephanie mentioned. “The last thing he said was, ‘we got this, we got this,’ and I kept saying, ‘OK, you’ve got this,’ but he just never came back.”
Robert was an enormous Dallas Cowboys fan and loved volunteering with youth baseball and basketball.
“He was just a loving person, a wonderful person,” Stephanie mentioned. “The smile on his face … Oh God the smile on his face was just enormous.”
Because Robert was on oxygen, verbal communication proved to be fairly troublesome for him. In his last days, Stephanie mentioned he had a cough so unhealthy it could almost take his breath away, so the couple would trade textual content messages as a substitute.
“We’re a strong family and we’re doing good,” Stephanie mentioned. “Well, we were doing good, and then of course the fire had just happened on Tuesday, and it just broke our heart again. You know, we lost the home that had all of our memories with him in it.”
Picking up the Pieces
Thanks to the assist from the group and household and buddies shut by, Stephanie mentioned her household has been pushing ahead.
The Rubio household has been staying in a vacant, 3-bedroom condominium that belongs to a group member close by. Electricity was restored at that residence Wednesday afternoon.
Vanessa Kinkade, Robert’s cousin, created a GoFundMe to assist the household take steps to rebuild their lives. On Twitter she mentioned that Robert was somebody who “loved everyone fiercely. Especially his wife and children.”
“I’m asking for donations to help this family recover a small amount of what they lost,” she wrote. “Nothing will bring their husband and father back. But we can all make an attempt to put some joy back in their hearts.”